[Live-demo] Re: Making a Deb [Was :#731: SVN commit access for LiveDVD]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 17 21:39:29 PDT 2011

On 06/17/2011 07:14 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>> PPAs (Personal Package Archives) are outside the standard
>> Ubuntu and
>> Debian repositories. They partly exist to allow the
>> community to get
>> debs up sooner than would happen if you have to wait for a
>> release of
>> Ubuntu/Debian in order to get your package out there. It
>> also lets you
>> publish versions whenever they are ready and backport them
>> to whichever distro revisions you want.
>
> [sorry about yahoo's linewrap]
>

> fyi/
> I note in my new xubu 11.04 test box that by default ubuntu is
> now adding extras.ubuntu.com to sources.list for new packages
> which missed the official inclusion deadlines. There seems to
> be some QA, but I'm not sure how much.
>
> I would suggest to disable this for our builds, and require that
> folks explicitly add their personal/PPAs to the sources.list.d/
> dir.
>

> best,
> Hamish

Looking at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviews (which seems to be the
page about extras) it appears you need to upload to a PPA anyways so you
might as well get it into Ubuntugis where more people are likely to see
it and where you can inlcude dependencies like newer gdal etc.

That and who knows how long it might take for ubuntu to review and
approve your app once submitted.

I don't see an immediate reason to disable it though.