[Live-demo] Project to be included on OSGeo Live GIS Disc

Jan Drewnak j.drewnak at 52north.org
Wed Jun 29 04:53:26 PDT 2011

Oops, my fault! I missed that mail... I will answer your questions as soon
as possible.

Thanks,

Jan

> [...]
>>>
>>>    Jan
>>>

>>> * Please describe your application.
>>> ** What is its name?
>>> -- 52°North Web Security Service
>>>
>>> ** What is the home page URL?
>>> -- http://52north.org/communities/security/wss/2.2/index.html
>>>
>>> ** Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
>>> -- GNU GPL 2.0
>>>
>>> ** What does the application do and how does it add value to the
>>> GeoSpatial stack of software?
>>> -- The application adds a security layer to any kind of geospatial Web
>>> applications and services, acting as a proxy, without the need to
>>> modify
>>> existing services. It provides policy-based authorization and
>>> authentication features to restrict access to spatial layers, features,
>>> and other resources provided by OGC Web Services.
>> Very nice. Would it be possible to lock down a WFS to a specific filter?
>> Eg: A user is only able to query features that are within a specific
>> polygon?
>>
>>> ** What language is it written in?
>>> -- Java
>>>
>>> ** Which version of the application should be included in the next
>>> OSGeo-Live release?
>>> -- 2.2.0 (final)
>> I understand that 2.2 is currently in beta. Have you had a previous
>> stable version?
>> Maybe 2.1 or 1.0?
>>
>>> * Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live and we pay most
>>> attention to the following answers. If a new user finds a bug in one
>>> application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other OSGeo-Live
>>> applications as well.
>>> ** Has been rolled out to production in a number of locations? Can you
>>> mention some risk adverse organizations who use your application?
>>> -- Used in some administrative units in federal states of germany
>> Can you please expand on this. Has the application been deployed into
>> production or is it just in a R&D prototype?
>>
>> I assume that these administrative units of federal states are part of
>> government? Would you consider these organisations to be risk adverse
>> themselves?
>> If departments would be ok to be named, it would be nice if you could
>> name one or two of them.
>>
>>> ** What is the size of the user community and developer community?
>>> You can
>>> often answer this by mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy,
>>> busy
>>> email list?
>>> -- About 500 download of latest beta release
>>>
>>> ** Do you have a bug free, stable release?
>>> -- Scheduled for end of June, current state is beta.
>>>
>>> ** Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone
>>> through.
>>> -- Deployed on various Windows and Linux platforms, Tomcat versions,
>>> tested with several WMS, WFS, WPS, and SOS.
>>>
>>> ** How long has the project has had mature code.
>>> -- First version established in late 2004
>>>
>>> * OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather
>>> libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
>>> command
>>> line interface) that a user can interact with?
>>> -- Web UI to set up protected services; policies and users are managed
>>> trough XML config files.
>>>
>>> * We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
>>> presented at [http://foss4g.org FOSS4G] conferences. If your project is
>>> involved in OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at
>>> FOSS4G, then please mention it.
>>> -- presented in 2007 to 2009
>>>
>>> * With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core
>>> packagers
>>> do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for
>>> each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take
>>> responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
>>> communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the
>>> install
>>> scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
>>> OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
>>> Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate
>>> releases
>>> of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
>>> -- liaison person is Jan Drewnak (j.drewnak at 52north.org)
>>>
>>> * OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
>>> *# Install from UbuntuGIS or DebianGIS
>>> *# Install .deb files from a PPA
>>> *# Write a custom install script
>>> :Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.
>>> -- Application is installed by script that copies the applications war
>>> file into a tomcat webapp folder
>>>
>>> * OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
>>> 512 Meg of RAM?
>>> -- definitely
>>>
>>> * How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
>>> suitable example application?
>>> -- about 35 MB
>>>
>>> * We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
>>> common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
>>> datasets already installed:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
>>> another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
>>> appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
>>> included in the standard release.
>>> -- datasets not needed; data that comes with application has very small
>>> footprint (couple of kB)
>> We have a few web services installed on OSGeo-Live already. It would
>> be good if your quickstart could make use of one of these.
>> For example, I understand the mapserver WMS/WFS doesn't require any
>> extra memory from a tomcat instance in order to run. You might want to
>> make use of it.
>>
>>> * In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for
>>> some
>>> applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future

--
Jan Drewnak
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

Tel.: +49 (0)251 7474- 432
Fax: +49 (0)251 396 371- 11

drewnak at 52north.org
www.52north.org
www.52north.org/security

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849