[Live-demo] should OSGeo Libraries be included in OSGeo-Live docs?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat May 14 17:34:36 PDT 2011

On 05/14/2011 03:54 PM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2011 06:54:13 +1000, Cameron Shorter  wrote:
>> 1. Should we invite OSGeo-Libraries to write a project overview on
>> OSGeo-Live?
>>

>   +1
>
>> 2. If yes, which projects should we invite?
>> Just graduated projects, or projects in incubation as well?
>>
>> The projects are:
>>
>> FDO
>> GDAL/OGR (already on OSGeo-Live)
>> GEOS (in incubation)
>> GeoTools
>> MetaCRS (in incubation)
>>

>   those all look like good candidate to me.. they are substantial bodies
> of work
> However, my impression is that most all of those are chronically
> under-resourced: due to complexity, few can make needed
> changes; due to significance and impart, improvement is always
> needed, and matter; due to architecture, it is not the library that gets
> retail
> resource rewards, but rather the applications on top of them..
>   I suggest that library writeups would have a common graphical look,
> similar to but different from the docs produced so far, and also I suggest
> that we keep relatively low expectations about how thats going to
> happen..
>
>   Cameron, thanks for asking about this..
>
>     -Brian
>
>  > --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Geospatial Director
>> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>>
>> Think Globally, Fix Locally
>> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
>> http://www.lisasoft.com

I agree with these ideas.

I also want to toss in a reminder that Live is not just a demo tool but
a teaching tool. I'm starting to use it to teach courses and have been
working on getting some professors I know to also use it. The primary
type of course we're looking at is Python programming in GIS, which the
live disc makes much easier when compared with trying to explain to IT
staff and new students how to get a proper dev environment configured.