[Live-demo] What common datasets do we need?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:21:43 PDT 2011

I think Simon has made some very valuable observations:

1. Despite the fact that it would be really cool to switch our core
datasets to the local FOSS4G city, this practically has a unobtainable
maintenance cost for downstream tutorials and documentation.

As such, I think it is ok, to have one or two sample datasets which
change with each foss4g city, but the majority of datasets, and the ones
which are used for quickstarts should be static. (We have a OSM dataset
which can switch to the FOSS4G city).

2. We need to have local datasets, while we would like to personalise
these local datasets for local users, we need to face the fact that we
have a global audience, and limited space, and as such local examples
won't be local for most users.

So as I think most of us have been hinting at, lets pick representative
sample datasets, then stick with them.