[Live-demo] Getting OSGeo-Live Quickstart writing guidelines right

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 18:44:34 PDT 2011

Cameron wrote:
> I can be swayed either way on providing a TOC.
> Most quickstarts have ~ 15 steps, with a heading for each
> step. See all headings here:
> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/quickstart/quickstart.html#application-quick-starts
>
> Hamish, I think you are suggesting that we shouldn't
> provide a list of steps as a TOC as 4 pages of Quickstart is
> not really long enough?

sorry I hadn't seen the above URL and misunderstood the idea.
I thought you were talking about adding a TOC to the top of
each individual quickstart. the above URL looks great.

Hamish wrote:
> > As long as I'm looking after them I'd keep them grouped
> > together.
> > If anyone else wants to take over maintainership of OSM
> > they'd be most welcome to do that, and could manage it any
> > way they like. [...]
Cameron:
> Yes Hamish, you already have a huge commitment to
> OSGeo-Live and I appreciate the extra effort that would be
> required for one person to break these docs apart.
> If you are fine with it, I'll look around for a volunteer
> to break these docs apart.

No, what I mean is that if an active member/team of the OSM
community wants to step forward and take over full maintainership
of the OSM download, install, and docs I'd be happy with that,
and they could split things up or not as they see fit, just as
now I maintain it as I see fit.

If a volunteer comes forward with an improved quickstart tutorial
for JOSM and Merkaartor I'd happily include the patch and
redesign the page layout(s) to suit. But a volunteer to split
apart the quickstart page as it is now then walk away? No thanks,
I'll wait for the enhancement patch(es) first. It's not that I don't have time to do the split job, it's just that IMHO it
should not be done until there is more content.

best,
Hamish