[Live-demo] Re: OSGeo Live 5.5 on a bootable USB stick

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:24:09 PDT 2012

On 13/04/2012 12:23 AM, edgar.soldin at web.de wrote:
> On 11.04.2012 00:40, edgar.soldin at web.de wrote:
>> On 10.04.2012 22:30, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> Andrew, thanks for the feedback, and noting that pendrivelinux didn't work for you, and then following up with a process that does work.
>>>
>>> Edgar,
>>> Do you remember which version of OSGeo-Live you were using with pendrivelinux and pendriveapps which worked for you?
>> probably 5.5, but i might have used the mentioned RUFUS only, not sure anymore... will try UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER today tough and come back with results.
>>

> ok checked both with osgeo-live-5.5.iso now
>
> UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER - fails to start (tried Xubuntu 11.04,11.10 profiles)
>
> RUFUS - works as expected. there is no persistence option, but not sure how that works anyway.

Edgar,
This is really useful research you have done. Thank you.
I wonder if you would mind adding what you know into our wiki here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Quick_Start_for_USB#Build_OSGeo-Live_USB_from_Windows

I expect you will need to extend this section to say:
How to burn a USB with RUFUS. (noting that persistence doesn't work)

That Universal USB Installer has worked with previous versions of
OSGeo-Live, but was not working with OSGeo-Live 5.5.

Alternative solution: Boot from a OSGeo-Live or Ubuntu/Xubutu DVD, and
then build a USB using the ubuntu method.

After Ubuntu 12.04 is released (which is what we are using for
osgeo-live 6.0), we should test again, and then update our main page:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/usb_quickstart.html