[Live-demo] which java version to use in 6.0

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 14:46:58 PDT 2012

Angelos wrote:
> For Java, I added the default JDK for ubuntu 12.04 which is
> default-jdk  == openjdk-6-jdk

ubuntu 12.04 ships both openjdk-6-jdk and openjdk-7-jdk in
main,

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=precise&keywords=openjdk

In this case I think it is better we explicitly install the
version we want rather than relying on the default-jdk
pacakge.

> Is there a reason we want openjdk-7 apart from being a newer
> version?

openjdk-7 is much more Sun compatible than openjdk-6, in fact
AFAIU Oracle has made openjdk-7 mainline for java 7.

> Why version 6 is still the default in ubuntu?

dunno. you'd have to ask ubuntu. probably the path of least
pain for them wrt the existing distro pkgs which are not
sun6->openjdk7 refugees.

thanks,
Hamish

ps- if any install script is including its own jre copy, that's
unfortunate and it should stop.