[Live-demo] Converting docs to UTF encoding

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Sun Aug 5 15:33:31 PDT 2012

>>> http://live.osgeo.org
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
>>

>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Geospatial Solutions Manager
>> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>>
>> Think Globally, Fix Locally
>> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
>> http://www.lisasoft.com

Well I'm a Linux guy and since some of the Spanish translators were
not really "encoding aware" I ended up with some CLI to fix things,
let me share it:

1st: Find suspicious files:

find . -type f -name "*.rst" -exec file {} \; | grep ISO-8859   <= encoding
find . -type f -name "*.rst" -exec file {} \; | grep CRLF         <= line ending
find . -type f -name "*.rst" -exec file {} \; | grep empty        <= empty

2nd Fix the encoding, usnig iconv

I=mapproxy_quickstart.rst; iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-1 --to-code=UTF-8
 $I > ${I}2; rm $I; mv ${I}2 $I

3rd Fix end line codes usnig dos2unix

dos2unix sahana_quickstart.rst

--