[Live-demo] [OSGeo] #998: R demo portion fails

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Aug 19 10:51:04 PDT 2012

On 08/19/2012 12:58 AM, OSGeo wrote:
> #998: R demo portion fails
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  darkblueb  |       Owner:  live-demo@…
>      Type:  defect     |      Status:  new
> Component:  LiveDVD    |    Keywords:  R
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>
> Comment(by barryrowlingson):
>
>  Actually the demo(wind) doesn't fail, it correctly checks for the presence
>  of the mapdata package and skips the section if its not there. mapdata is
>  only a 'suggested' dependency for gstat, and the 'maps' package is a
>  dependency of that.
>
>  The R packaging system allows packages to say another package is not
>  criticial, its just used for demos or documentation. I don't see this as a
>  defect.
>
>  However... some of us have been scheming about improving the R component
>  of the live-DVD by including more of the spatial packages so we can do
>  groovy things like drawing cute maps on OSM tiles and so on. The maps
>  package would probably be nice to have too. But it can pull in a large
>  dataset in its own special format in the mapdata package...
>
>  Perhaps I should open a new ticket for that enhancement process? I think
>  this one is a 'wontfix'?

You are welcome to change the package selection. Keep in mind we are
tight on space so we had to be extremely selective about which ones are
on the disc by default (You can see the list we left off in the
scripts). That said if you add a package you may need to remove another
to balance the space. No net change is disk space needs is the preferred
route.

I agree you can just change this ticket to an enhancement for the next
version.