[Live-demo] presentation update

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 03:59:01 PDT 2012

On 26/08/12 18:05, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> I've just noticed MB-System in the online docs. Under Desktop GIS. Did
> that just appear? I think some of the stuff in Desktop GIS should
> probably go elsewhere - maybe Geopublisher and Atlas Styler should go
> into the Nav+Maps section, and we keep the Desktop GIS section as
> really only those programs that have general desktop GIS functionality
> (Qgis, gvSIG et al). I don't think OSSIM should be there either -
> there's no Quickstart doc and maybe it should go in the Geospatial
> Libraries section - which applications on the disk actually use it?

I'll be interested to hear directly from project owners on this.

>>> Is it worth re-ordering the presentation to exactly match the order in
>>> the online documentation?
>> Probably not.
>> I developed the order of the original presentation such that it was easy to
>> segway from one application to the next. I am however open to suggestions on
>> how you would prefer to order the presentation if you have specific ideas.
>   I might have a good think about it in the light of whatever comments
> people have on my comments above...
>
> Also, I put the notes that were in the text file into the 'Notes'
> section of the OpenOffice presentation with some additions and minor
> edits. I'll often do a presentation with this view of the deck on my
> phone so I can see the slide+notes.

To date, I've requested that notes are not included in the OpenOffice files.
Reason is that .odp files seem to be stored in a binary format, and
minor tweaks in text are difficult to track in subversion, which makes
it particularly difficult for translators wanting to know what needs
updating between versions.

Hence all words are stored in the text file:
osgeolive_taster_script.txt
<https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/promo/trunk/en/presentation/osgeolive_taster_script.txt>

>   Its possible to extract the text back if really needed by exporting
> to HTML or something. It also lets you do HTML image+text versions of
> the presentation, such as:
>
> http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Teaching/UseR2012/introductionTalk.html
>
> with a bit of scripted reformatting.
>
> Barry

Sounds useful. Any suggestions on how we can get the above, but still
track changes easily in subversion?