[Live-demo] License on data

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Wed Dec 12 03:21:05 PST 2012

On 12/12/2012, at 10:11 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> We currently don't have any applications or data on OSGeo-Live which has a licence restricting commercial use (that I'm aware of).
>
> And as such I'm wary of introducing such a dependency.
>
> Could you please explain:
> 1. What is SRTM?

SRTM is the satellite data that all terrain data is taken from. If you use Terrain data, you are using SRTM data, or derived, which obviously has the same license. DTED is a common format derived from SRTM data.

> 2. Is it required for the demo?

It certainly makes it look nicer - shading of hills etc for terrain, but technically we could work a way around it.

> 3. Is there a work around for not using it?

Technically, given enough time, fake random terrain data could be generated.

> 4. Does it follow a current known licence (such as Creative Commons or GPL)? If so, what is it?

No, like most geo spacial data, the governments that release it tend to have their own license.

By comparison, what other data is provided as examples on the DVD?

Scott