[Live-demo] Re-categorising OSGeo-Live projects

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Sun Dec 16 11:44:33 PST 2012

I'm completely on board about MapServer - actually, in my classification
sketched below it is a service indeed, whereas DBMSs form another category of
services. BTW, MapServer is not a Web server either - it needs Apache or similar
to run. But it offers WCS, just like rasdaman (a DBMS) does, for example.
Both categories, whether filebased or using databases, serve data over the Web
in the end, and both offer overlapping services (such as WMS, WCS); the
difference is the paradigm of management.

cheers,
Peter