[Live-demo] customized ISO not booting

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 18:19:26 PST 2012

Hi Micha,

comments inline:

On 12/24/2012 10:36 AM, Micha Silver wrote:
> Hi Angelos:
> Again thanks for the tips.
> I'm re-reading the wiki page on the build process. A few more questions, if I
> may, just to be sure I understand the steps:
> 1- I understand that any ubuntu (or Debian?) system can be used now to do a
> build? Just grab and run the bootstrap.sh, which pulls down all the gisvm
> scripts etc. Is that right? This I do only once?
Basically you can build using a debian or ubuntu but there are some
details that differentiate the build result (eg when building under
Ubuntu, Plymouth does not work as expected) The best result is achieved
when you use the following base system:
- Xubuntu 32bit base with SAME kernel version as the Xubuntu iso (if you
want updates use apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get
dist-upgrade)
- User account to run the build script should be "user" since this
account will be used during chroot to run the scripts. We do that to
keep backward compatible scripts and not be forced to rewrite them all
from scratch.

About bootstrap, yes you only need it once and then you can svn up and
rerun the build as many times as you like.

For building the official disk I use a base VM and change it only when
we change kernel.

> 2- Then I run the ~/gisvm/bin/build_chroot.sh to get a default
> osgeo-live_xxx.iso under my <user>/livedvdtmp directory?
Yes

> 3- Now I can alter scripts in the ~/gisvm/bin directory (especially the
> inchroot.sh) to add/remove whatever I need? And If I now re-run the
> build_chroot.sh, my customizations will be applied?
We have a build_chroot_debug.sh to help you enable and disable packages
and make smaller tests, rather than building the whole iso each time.
Just make sure to enable the packages you need as dependencies. This
script will be copied in the chroot environment and be used. Caution:
the scripts are not moved into chroot, they are svn checkedout from
within the chroot, so any change you do on a project script should be
copied manually by you or committed in order to be tested.

> 4- I see that the whole <user>/livedvdtmp/edit directory is emptied after each
> run of build_chroot.sh. Does it make sense to leave that directory as is, in
> order to ease bandwidth use on each re-run of the build_chroot?
This folder will be deleted and recreated on next run.
I wanted to implement this feature (keeping the installation files to be
reused) but I did not have the time so far...

> Cheers,
> Micha

Cheers,
Angelos