[Live-demo] OSGeo Live CD / Cartaro

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:41:51 PST 2012

Dear Patric,

Thanks for your efforts on the installation script.

I have reviewed the script and tested it on a full build (rev9500) and
there are some issues:

The installation script is starting up GeoServer during build time and
this creates some extra files in the GeoServer directory (logs) that are
not there when GeoServer installation script ends.
This breaks GeoServer installation due to permission settings of the new
files.

See logs here:
http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/osgeo-live-debug-build9500-log.tar.gz
Full build here:
http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/osgeo-live-debug-build9500.iso

Also I realized that the Cartaro installation script never stoped the
GeoServer instance causing potential problems to the chroot environment.

I see two possible solutions:
1. Not to startup GeoServer during your script
2. Startup GeoServer and then bring it down safely, while changing the
log files permissions at the end of your script.

Can you please let me know if option 1 is possible?
I will commit the 2nd solution to svn to bring back GeoServer.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Angelos