[Live-demo] 5.5 Beta 1 Status

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 13:28:35 PST 2012

Fran wrote:
> In there is the almost-trunk version which I
> think works fine for this purpose: a chance to
> preview functionality.

we like to use tried-and-tested versions (warts and
all) over latest-greatest versions as there are
less unknowns to deal with. And no unknowns make
debugging and system integration orders of magnitude
easier.

(software demos which are buggy don't do much for
a project's reputation! :)

> If we were going to spend more time then it should
> be on setting up suitable prepopulate demo data,
> but this is certainly more time than I
> have available currently.

I'd certainly encourage Sahana to take advantage
of the live disc as a general purpose already-set-
up-for-you demo and educational tool, but understand
too well about time pressures. I'll just say that
the opportunity is there if you want to use it.

> So far I've not received any feedback from users
> finding Sahana on this DVD & I think that any
> serious deployment would get in touch with
> us, so we could address any little hitches there.

fwiw one of my main motivations for putting sahana
on the disc in the first place was not to get it
more deployments, rather to get it into the hands
and under the noses of the collective osgeo
developer brain trust, to maybe attract some new
devs to your projects or at least have someone say
"hey  there's this library which would be really
useful for that..", or as lots of the osgeo devs
spend a lot of their time talking and giving advice
to others, to give it some free exposure. which
is perhaps dilute, but can't be bad.

best,
Hamish