[Live-demo] Addistional packages for workshops

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Feb 6 05:38:23 PST 2012

Hi all,

There is often a demand for installing additional packages for OSGeo-Live
based workshops. Last FOSS4G I handled this by putting the apt-get
instructions on the blackboard, but you loose always a few minutes waiting for
all participants fixing their typos. Today I got requests for the coming
FOSSGIS in Germany to add packages for certain workshops. My proposed solution
for this common request is a new desktop icon, pointing to an installation
page on the OSGeo Wiki [1]. On this page workshop organizers can add links
like apt://qt4-designer which start up the Gnome Software Center with the
packages automatically selected. This should be easy enough for workshop
participants to install additional software by themselves.

Regards
Pirmin

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions