[Live-demo] Addistional packages for workshops

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 6 23:20:24 PST 2012

Hello,

Pirmins idea sounds good to me. But Cameron you are right, maybe you do
not have .deb files or you need additional configuration.

I thought about additional install_workshop_xy.sh in the bin-directory (or
somewhere else) that will not be installed by default. In case you want to
run the workshop you could easily install the sofware. The workshop leader
could administrate the scripts in the svn.

Astrid

On Mon, February 6, 2012 10:02 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Pirmin,
> I think it a is a good idea to create a process which makes it easy for
> Workshop leaders to be able to add applications to OSGeo-Live.
>

> I assume that this would be much easier with a USB than with a DVD? Or
> are you considering having all students have osgeo-live installed on their
> computer?
>
> I'd be interested to hear if others have comments as to whether Pirmin's
> proposed method for achieving this is a good one.
>
> If a workshop presenter didn't have a .deb file, what process should
> they follow for getting an application onto osgeo-live?
>
> Should we be ensuring we have space free on a 4 Gig USB stick to allow
> installing extra applications? If so, how much? Maybe we will need to ask
> workshops to hand out 8 Gig USBs instead.
>

> On 07/02/12 00:38, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> There is often a demand for installing additional packages for
>> OSGeo-Live
>> based workshops. Last FOSS4G I handled this by putting the apt-get
>> instructions on the blackboard, but you loose always a few minutes
>> waiting for all participants fixing their typos. Today I got requests
>> for the coming FOSSGIS in Germany to add packages for certain workshops.
>> My proposed solution
>> for this common request is a new desktop icon, pointing to an
>> installation page on the OSGeo Wiki [1]. On this page workshop
>> organizers can add links like apt://qt4-designer which start up the
>> Gnome Software Center with the
>> packages automatically selected. This should be easy enough for workshop
>>  participants to install additional software by themselves.
>>
>> Regards
>> Pirmin
>>

>> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/Live_GIS_Workshop_Install
>>

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Solutions Manager
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>

> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> http://www.lisasoft.com

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde

FOSSGIS Konferenz 2012
20.-22. März 2012 in Dessau
http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2012
----------------------------------

 Astrid Emde
 WhereGroup GmbH & Co.KG
 Eifelstraße 7
 53119 Bonn
 Germany

 Fon: +49(0)228 90 90 38 - 19
 Fax: +49(0)228 90 90 38 - 11

 astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
 www.wheregroup.com
 http://twitter.com/WhereGroup_com

Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6788
Komplementärin:
WhereGroup Verwaltungs GmbH
vertreten durch:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
 pgp-public key:
 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x06DA52D72D515284
  Signierte und/oder verschlüsselte Nachrichten sind sehr willkommen
  Signed and/or encrypted mail is highly appreciated