[Live-demo] duplicating bootable flash drive

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 13 09:43:19 PST 2012

On 02/13/2012 08:28 AM, Kurt Menke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created a bootable flash drive from the OSGeo-LiveDVD-5.0.iso & I'd
> like to make 20 copies of it.
>

> How can I duplicate the drive? There's obviously more to it than just
> copying all the files from one drive to another. When I do that and try to
> use the new drive to boot from I just get a disc error.
>
> Kurt

Sure part of the process includes partitioning and set the boot flag on
the partition. Not things a copy can do. Usually you'll have to repeat
the same procedure you used on the 1st drive using the usb creator tools.

You might be able to write a script that uses fdisk and dd if you want
to get fancy with it. FYI, we discovered at Foss4g when we had to redo
all of them that you can do 2 at a time, and if you do the usb creation
from Linux it only takes 6-10 minutes where windows takes 30-60 minutes.