[Live-demo] Re: Questioning referencing MapGuide in docs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 16:35:27 PST 2012

Cameron wrote:
> I notice that the contents page has been tweaked:
> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/overview/overview.html
>
> In particular:
> 1. There is a new category "Other software of interest (not
> available live)"
> 2. "MapGuide" has been re-introduced

Correct.

> I think it a good idea to make it clear which packages are
> not available Live, but I'd prefer not to include link to
> MapGuide. MapGuide was on OSGeo-Live, but the MapGuide
> community has not stepped up to keep it working, and it is
> also not available in the Windows installers (primarily
> because it is huge and won't fit), but also because we are
> not getting support from the MapGuide community to do
> something about it.

They are a full and active OSGeo Project, and they have a decent
overview page and quickstart available, and so they get given a
spot in the summary list of (not installed) projects.  Since this
live sampler disc serves the OSGeo projects, and not the other
way around, I'm not going to get into the business of using their
software overview page as leverage for forcing them to update
their software offerings, especially as we're the ones who
decided to kick them off in the first place. (* purely due to
lack of space on the DVD)

FWIW I haven't chased them up about getting it manually
installable on Natty, although I really should have.

If they weren't a full fledged OSGeo project I wouldn't hesitate
much to drop the link to their summary page. But they are, and if
anything I think we should be reaching out to them more. (and the
FDO & GEOS library teams too, the only active OSGeo projects not
formally represented on the disc by an overview page)

regards,
Hamish