[Live-demo] Re: OSGeoLive, Sourceforge, and South Africa

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Feb 29 18:19:29 PST 2012

Last time I read up on sourceforge policies dumping a big iso so it
would get mirrored was not an acceptable use of sourceforge resources.
We also have no way to guarantee which mirrors it ends up on. Not all
files go to every mirror, especially big files.
If someone could look up the policies again and check that would be
great (I'm not even sure sourceforge lets you upload files as big as the
ones we have via their interface or ftp).

As I've noted in the past, I would gladly do a torrent if we actually
had enough people to seed it reasonably. Testing on previous releases
has shown that we do not have that kind of demand.

The next option would be to host a South African mirror using our
current mirror system where users from the southern portion of the
continent would likely get the South African mirror auto-selected for
them based on Geo-ip lookup. If anyone volunteers I would be happy to
add them to the mirror database and do my best to keep their downloads
only to the region (throttling or filtering on their end is up to them).

William - using our current download links which mirror do you usually
get directed to and how long does the download take (min, max, or avg?)