[Live-demo] OpenJDK Only for LiveDVD 5.5?

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Sun Jan 1 09:55:44 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  Geoserver-Devel, Jody,
>
> As per email thread below, the OSGeo-Live project is looking for guidance
> on what we should do regarding a migration to OpenJDK.
>
> The brief facts:
> * Sun Java is not allowed to be packaged into future distributions (like
> ubuntu, debian, or OSGeo-Live). Instead, users are expected to download
> SunJava from Sun.
> * SunJava 7 will be based upon OpenJDK.
> * OpenJDK is reportedly much better than previous OpenJDK versions.
>
> For OSGeo-Live:
> * OSGeo-Live v5.5 (released in March 2012) will be based upon the older
> Xubuntu 10.04, so at a pinch, we can still use Sun java, (but won't be able
> to accept security updates). For OSGeo-Live v6.0 (Sept 2012), we intend to
> use Xubuntu 12.04, and hence will only be able to use OpenJDK.
> * OSGeo-Live is space limited, and we strongly prefer to only include one
> flavour of java, otherwise we need to remove some of our windows installers.
>
> So bottom line is that java applications which wish to be included in
> Linux distributions will need to support OpenJDK soon, and this is coming
> to a head as we package OSGeo-Live.

To my knowledge there has been no effort to support OpenJDK, it's not used
in production in any serious place I know of and
last time I checked graphics performance was very poor, not to mention
resulting in poorer quality maps.
Again afaik, none of the developers is using it, nor the build server is
testing it.

Also please consider that both Geotools and GeoServer are likely to stay on
JDK 6 for quite some time (JDK 6 EOL is
June 2012, my guess is that we'll stay on it for another 6-12 months past
that), so any
improvement in OpenJDK 7 won't help us much.

Given that business requirements are still squarely on Oracle JDK we'd need
some OpenJDK "champion" that takes care of
supporting that enviroment, finds all the changes necessary to make the
apps work reliably on it, and pushes to get the
same in the code base. If someone shows up that wants to carry on the task
I'll be happy to help with a portion of my
weekend spare time hours.
Another option is that the PSC of both projects votes to start supporting
OpenJDK, dedicating the effort to get there and
the continous effort to keep it there (who wants to try the build on both
JDK 6 and OpenJDK before committing?... hmmm)

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Please take note that GeoSolutions will be closed for Christmas holidays
from 27/12 to 30/12