[Live-demo] OpenJDK Only for LiveDVD 5.5?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:29:17 PST 2012

> Questions for Geotools developers:
> 1. Do geotools based applications work on OpenJDK now?
Not sure; even if they did without a build box configured with OpenJDK to ensure the library works in that environment it would not be considered a supported platform for production use. I always figure "demo" is almost more important then production use as it is a first impression.

By the same token I would not recommend projects based on GeoTools go live on OpenJDK without appropriate testing.

Perhaps the Geomajas guys could stand up a build box with OpenJDK?
> 2. Is it possible to migrate geotools based applications to OpenJDK?
Yes; would required volunteer time; hardware to run a nightly build with that configuration and so on. I recently lost two weeks to a build box at my current work site that was incorrectly configured to use OpenJDK rather than Java 6.
> 3. Can such migration happen before Feb 2012 (for OSGeo-Live 5.5)?
>
> We can help with testing packaged applications, but are looking for guidance from projects on where we should be focusing our energy.
I do not think so; we would need hardware in place now.

Our developers are an even split between mac, linux and windows environments. As I understand it mac OpenJDK is not ready yet (with no sign of arrival); windows is troubled.

I would wait for OpenJDK Java 7 to be released; and then set up a build box at that time.

Jody