[Live-demo] osgeo took my computer

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 11 17:08:28 PST 2012

On 01/11/2012 06:25 AM, maxion at zedat.fu-berlin.de wrote:
> Hello people,
> i have tried to install osgeo live on my HP-Computer which has already
> Ubunut 11.10 and Windows 7 on it. i started with downloading the big
> package (with windows installers)osgeo-live-5.0.iso with ubuntu 11.10 and
> burned it on a dvd, in the end i did NOT verify my download with this file
> (osgeo-live-5.0.iso.md5)and i still don't know how this should happen.
> Anyway the dvd seemed burned succesfully.
> Then I entered the dvd and got right onto the PXE terminal and chose
> install directly on hard disk.
> I chose a partition of 100GB for Osgeo 5.0. The installation started but
> failed after a while.
> So I turned off the computer aftewr i took out the dvd, then i started
> again and did not get onto the PXE but on the usual window where i can
> choose between Ubuntu 11.1 and Windows 7 to boot.
> I started Windows and tried to delete the 100GB partition but I was not
> able to do so, it said there was not enough space in the directory to
> delete the partition.
> Then I put the dvd back into the computer and rebooted, I got to PXE and
> chose to start Osgeo live from the dvd.
> It worked and in Osgeo 5.0 i was able to access all data from Windows 7
> partition and the 100GB partition which i have created during the failed
> installation. Additionally I saw a third file system which was probably
> the dvd itself.
> When I shut down xubuntu/osgeo and start the computer without the dvd I do
> NOT get to choose whether i want to start Windows 7 or Ubuntu 11.1 but
> instead I am asked to enter the system disk and then press any key. I
> changed the booting list, so it does not boot from dvd first, but the
> problem returned.
> How can I boot Windows and Ubuntu again, how can delet the wrong 100GB
> partition and how can I install osgeo live onto my hard disk but still be
> able to boot windows or ubuntu?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Greets
> Max

Max,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is one of the risks of trying
to deal with dual/triple booting of computers. For fixing the partitions
I suggest using GParted (There is a GParted Live disc you can download).
For fixing the windows boot you just need a Windows disc, if you look
around the internet there are tons of instructions on how to restore the
boot.

Generally I create the partitions ahead of time before starting an
installation of Linux, either using GParted Live if a Win XP box or
Windows 7 if that's what's installed. At the end of a successful install
of Linux grub should be installed (Ubuntu types). If that doesn't go
right there are lots of tutorials online with how to fix it.

If you're having trouble finding a solution, and finding good tutorials
online then I suggest contacting your nearest Linux Users Group. If you
don't have one of those nearby the Ubuntu wiki, mailing list and IRC
chat rooms are generally good too.

Hope that helps,