[Live-demo] Where should JAVA_HOME be set (if overriding default=openjdk 1.7)?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 12:29:29 PST 2012

With respect to the livedvd: as a rule, our custom
things go into /usr/local/bin not /usr/bin.

(and similarly /usr/local/lib not /usr/lib, too)

the exception to this is .deb packaged & dpkg
managed files which should use /usr as the prefix
root not /usr/local.

this is to aid with the packaging management of 40+
projects which have not been through the debian QA
& conflict process but are competing for the same
namespace on such a system, and in general to keep
the file system sane and our modifications to the
base system obvious.

The case of thin clients where /usr is mounted via
a NFS mount is mostly irrelevant in this context.

regards,
Hamish