[Live-demo] Re: can we update adhoc doc generation every hour?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 18 09:21:15 PST 2012

On 01/18/2012 03:18 AM, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 18/01/2012 12:49, Hamish wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> The installer is 51.6 MB (sorry ;))
>>
>> the problem with the disk space is on the live-linux side of things.
>> the ms-windows and macintosh installers are stored in a reserve area
>> on the printed DVD which is used for persistent workspace on the USB
>> stick (target ~500mb). so the mac/windows installer space is pretty
>> flexible and is usually only decided at the last moment when we see how
>> much space is left.
>
> I have a suggestion for saving space: Why not deliver the LiveDVD with no
> installers at all (= the mini version as compiled today) and a separate DVD with
> just installers? That would release several 100's of MB, I believe.
>
> For users who need the LiveDVD for training or demos, the installers are
> unnecessary. Those who want the install packages will download the separate DVD,
> but that's not such an inconvenience.
>
> --
> Micha

This comes up every time, so I should explain again. The limit on the
Live part is 3.2-3.6 GB so it will fit on a 4GB usb stick with extra
space. There is always ~ 900 MB of extra space for a DVD burn. Therefore
there is always space for a few installers on the full version.

We have discussed making a 2nd DVD of all the mac/win installers but
thought that simply providing a list with all the links would probably
make more sense and be less work.