[Live-demo] Re: Prune on OSGeo-Live 5.5

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 11:39:05 PST 2012

On 20/01/12 05:06, activityworkshop wrote:

> > Which version of prune should be installed on our next OSGeo-Live
> 5.5 release?
> Answer: whichever is easiest for you to install (the same answer as
> last time :)
> I believe (although I can't immediately find a confirmation) that
> you'll be using Ubuntu 11.04 (aka Narwhal) for the 5.5 release.  If
> that's true, then Prune 12 is in the repositories for you (still).  If
> you take this one, the install script doesn't change, the version
> doesn't change, and the docs don't need to change.
> If you really want to take the version from the 11.11 (Ocelot)
> repositories, then you'll get Prune 12.1, but you'll need to specify
> the other repository so that may be awkward for your install script.
> Alternatively, Prune 13.1 is in the 12.04 (Pangolin) repositories, or
> version 13.2 is in Debian Testing.
> The choice is yours, but v12 is least effort for you.

Yes, we are using Xubuntu 11.04 (it is listed in our status sheet)
Yes, I agree, it sounds like v12 is the correct version to use. We
prefer to install from .deb files from a distribution if possible. I've
updated our status sheet accordingly:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB#gid=8

> > Can Prune use OpenJDK's JRE instead of Sun JRE?
> Answer: Yes, it should work fine.  Last time I tried it, all the
> functionality worked fine, just the rendering of the text looked a bit
> ugly for my eyes.  I've heard that was a common complaint, but maybe
> it's changed/improved since then, I haven't tried it recently.

Ok, lets see if we can get Prune working from OpenJDK. If possible, it
would be great if you could download one of the candidate releases (once
we have made it) and test prune and ensure it works appropriately in
openjdk, and also verify that we have the menu item included.