[Live-demo] where to update the windows, mac installer?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 16:09:26 PST 2012

Hi,

just to throw in my 2c and answer some questions,

edgar wrote:
>>> we will have a *.jar installer for mac and and the
>>> same exe wrapped for windows? should i add both, or only the
>>> jar which works on windows as well?

My suggestion would be to only include it once, then put a $project.txt
file in the other place telling the user that the cross-platform .jar
file found there will also work here. (and a code comment in the script
that installs the real one to say if this gets removed be sure to adjust
the other script which depends on it too)

ISTR another project already does this, maybe via a note in their
overview or quickstart page?

symlinks will not work in the ISO9660 installer filespace on the DVD AFAIK.

> > To be clear, your *.jar file(s) will be kept outside of
> > the osgeo-live repository, and the above scripts will just
> > download from the external URLs.
>
> i understand that the dvd has some place reserved for win/mac installers.

yes.

> what is the osgeo-live repository?

it is  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/  and is used to store
custom built stuff and host files we need for build which do not come
from a stable home.  ...viz large binary files do not belong in svn,
only really small and non-volatile stuff should go into
gisvm/trunk/app-data/. We have the data/ webspace for that.

> why should we upload openjump there?

you shouldn't.

Cameron:
> > If so, yes I suggest updating load_win_installers.sh and
> > load_mac_installers.sh to include mapwindow. If later we
> > discover we don't have enough space, we may need to drop
> > one.

Do not be wasteful by default. Even if it is just 16mb, we are
fighting tooth and nail for every MB saved and must maintain
discipline of efficiency at every step along the way. Write
things so that if we forget to come back to it later by default
it does the right (non-duplicate) thing.

> what's the deadline on those modifications?

for binary mac/windows installers: at the last minute. but if you talk
about them in a project overview or quickstart those should be in place
ASAP for the translators.

Hamish