[Live-demo] Re: [SpatiaLite-Users] Updates for OSGeo Live 5.5

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 03:04:52 PST 2012

On 31/01/12 01:52, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 01/28/2012 12:34 AM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm maintaining SpatiaLite for OSGEO Live( live.osgeo.org).
>> Since I'm short of time for updating the docs and all packages on the current
>> release, I'm asking for help.
>> If someone could update at least the overview doc during my holidays, I would
>> commit the changes end of next week.
>> The current beta build can be downloaded from
>> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/5.5/
>> Instructions:http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
>> You can look into the current docs on the OSGEO Trac:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/en
>> Regards
>> Pirmin
>>

> Hello Pirmin:
>
> I've taken the liberty to make some changes and additions to the
> overview and quickstart docs. (attached here).
>
> If it looks OK, go ahead and upload to the docs on Trac.
>
> Some issues regarding Spatialite.
>
> First, I notice that in the /home/user/data/spatialite directory there
> are three DBs, taking about 40 MB together and they seem to be
> redundant (similar tables in each). Perhaps we can consolidate into
> one - say regions.sqlite - and thus save about 25-30 MB. It's not much
> in disk space, but every little bit...
>
> Additonally, the current version of the spatialite CLI program is at
> 3.0.x on Ubuntu, but the spatialite-gui program is still "stuck" at
> 1.4.0 so the new features available in the CLI are missing from the
> GUI. (Ubuntu is keeping the libspatialite2 around just for the GUI
> till a new spatialite-gui is ready). THere's nothing OSGeo-Live can do
> about this other than gently encourage ubuntugis to put out updated
> packages for the GUI also. Should this inconsistency between the CLI
> and the GUI deserve special mention in the Overview doc??
>
> Regards,
>
> Micha

Micha,
Thankyou for your contribution. We like to credit the people who have
contributed to osgeo-live, and also to ensure that we legally have the
rights to include someone's work.
As such, would you mind following our request for subversion access as
per: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Subversion
1. Asking for subversion access to our email list, noting that you are
ok with our Open Source licenses.
2. Add your name to our contributors list
3. I've had a quick look over your Project Overview diffs, and they look
good to me. Can you please commit your changes to the Project Overview.
4. Your quickstart updates also look reasonable, but I haven't looked as
closely at them, and am not in a good position to comment on whether
they work or not. I suggest waiting till Pirmin returns to verify that
your suggestions are good.

I really like your suggestions above related to saving disk space. The
OSGeo-Live disk is quite acutely space constrained, and so it will be
good if we can save space as you suggest. Again, I suggest discussing
this with Pirmin to provide a recommendation.