[Live-demo] OpenLayers updates for 5.5

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 19:58:18 PST 2012

Cameron wrote:
> Ah thanks, I think that Openlayers would be better grouped
> under "Browser Clients". Do you have any objections to
> moving it?

"Browser Clients" has been defined as:
#Server apps part 2 (web based viewers; data only flows down to user)

while "Spatial Tools" as:
#Infrastructure and miscellanea

OpenLayers in the wild is of course a classic fit for "Browser Clients"
but the choice on where to put it comes down to presentation: if it is
on the disc primarly as a working end-user example then I'd put it in
Browser Clients for sure. If it is presented on the disc primarily as a
tutorial on how to get started with the API, and working examples are
just somewhere in a gallery link, then I can see some justification in
grouping it more like back-end infrastructure.

[the desktop icon/menu item goes to the examples page, but the quickstart
focuses on getting started with the API, so take your pick of perspective]

I'm not too worried about which category it gets filed under, perhaps
"Browser Clients" is correct in either case. Guidance from the upstream
devs about how they see and want to define themselves is always welcome.

Hamish