[Live-demo] Downloading via BitTorrent?

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:49:39 PDT 2012

On 07/06/2012 01:19 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 6/07/2012 7:56 AM, Hamish wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> ibiblio (part of the University. of NC, Chapel Hill) is home
>>> to a lot of Linux distributions and various open source software
>>> packages.
>>> We've recently increased our capacity for hosting and
>>> distributing large files by using BitTorrent.  Would the
>>> osgeo-live community be interested in adding BT as a download
>>> method for the osgeo-live images?  If you're familiar with BT,
>>> our system has a seeding server that is as reliable as a web
>>> server.  I uploaded the current and past couple of releases.
>>>
>>> http://terasaur.org/item/show/osgeo-live-5-5/6519
>>> http://terasaur.org/search?query=osgeo
>>>
>>> Comments and questions are welcome.  By the way, completed
>>> downloads counts are available.  Click the "Downloads" link
>>> just above the list towards the bottom of the details page.
>> Hi John,
>>
>> probably Alex is the one to talk to, see our previous (short)
>> conversation after your last approach,
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.livedemo/2871
>>

>> and some other torrent idea threads,
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.livedemo/432
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.livedemo/981
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.livedemo/3338
>>

> Thank you John for the kind offer. I'm tentatively in favour of making
> use of it, but would like to hear thoughts from Alex and Angelos first.
> One think I've noticed is what seems to be the extra large size of
> images currently listed at:
> http://terasaur.org/search?query=osgeo
> In the order of 10 GB, compared to the 4.3 GB listed on our website:
> http://live.osgeo.org/en/download.html

Hi all,
This is another good step making the live dvd available for more people,
after having some download mirrors around the globe + a recently created
SourceForge project to host our iso files
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/osgeo-live/?source=directory).
Since Alex is very interested about the download statistics for his
research, I want to hear from him too :) Perhaps he is not only
interested in download counts...

Regards,
Angelos

--