[Live-demo] [udig-devel] uDig in OSGeoLive 6.0 without JAI

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:21:22 PDT 2012

Hi Jody,

On 07/23/2012 08:36 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> We have 2 options:
>> 1. find a way for uDig to load JAI through a custom directory (even
>> though an export LD_LIBRARY_PATH for a custom path did not work in Ubuntu)
>>

> Do you have a link to what you tried in this respect?
>
> We have an outstanding change request to package the binaries up inside uDig; this would prevent them being shared with other applications
> on the disk; and would result in uDig shipping a second copy of GDAL. While this is smaller then uDig having its own JRE; it would be preferable from a size point of view if you could get the script to work.

I moved the jai binaries and jars into a custom folder under udig.
Then I added this line on start of udig.sh, right under the gdal line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/udig/jai/ext/

>> 2. use a pure java implementation of uDig without JAI
>>

> I am not keen to make a special copy of uDig just for the live dvd.
>> The open ticket is here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/922
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

> You only mentioned JAI here; are you also looking at ImageIO and ImageIO-Ext?  Other projects such as Geomajas are more likely to conflict on the copy of ImageIO-Ext and GDAL used.
I did not touch either ImageIO or GDAL, since udig seemed to open every
file I tested just with JAI moved around.

> Jody

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens