[Live-demo] 6.0 beta6 Status

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 18:09:06 PDT 2012

On 07/28/2012 05:40 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> This beta6 replaces beta5 after some package manager failure:
> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/6.0/
>
> All application were tested in VM and we have 2 issues:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/949 - ossim needs
> libopenthreads.so.13 and version 14 is upstream
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/968 - pink tiles in Geomoose demo
>
> Please test and commit fixes. RC1 build in 36 hours as agreed.
>
> Angelos

Besides the good news that beta6 is pretty stable, I got to build the
alternate iso:

http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/6.0/osgeo-live-mini-6.0beta6-alt.iso

and I must say this is a huge improvement from previous alternate builds:

  * All applications are installed
  * We have a look and feel similar to any ubuntu spin off
  * Welcome screen issue is fixed
  * Most files from /home/user are now available to the home folder of
the live user.
  * Installation issues are expected to be fixed, since we use the
default ubuntu installation method.

Issues to consider:

  * Some java applications (Geoserver, Geonetwork, Deegree, Geomajas) do
not have launchers available in the menu "Geospatial", although they can
be initialized through their startup scripts.
  * Some applications need su to run (we must have a deep look at
permissions)
  * There is a failure to load data into postgis and mysql due to user
name issues.
  * Data symlink does not appear in home folder.
  * Live user is "xubuntu" instead of "user"

I would suggest to try it, you will like where this goes... :)

Cheers,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos