[Live-demo] Teaching Spatial Programming - Raspberry Pi

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:59:39 PDT 2012

On 06/01/2012 08:35 AM, Suchith Anand wrote:
> Thanks all for these valuable inputs. For the long term, It will be really good if we can start planning ideas for geospatial educational packages for OLPC, Raspberry Pi etc. I will start plans to arrange a special workshop session in OSGIS 2012 to focus on this. In fact, Ari Jolma (Aalto University, Finland) has send a workshop proposal focusing on packaging for OSGeo-Live , so that might be a good opportunity to plan future developments.
>
> Ari, let us know your thoughts as well .

huh? Isn't this thread specifically about Raspberry Pi? It's an
interesting concept - kind of a whole computer in a space where we
previously had just a memory stick. ARM hardware is very different from
the traditional PC.

Yes, I'm committed to prepare a workshop (with help from the Ubuntu GIS
people) (partly practical partly OSGeo-edu strategic) on packaging stuff
so that it's compatible for the OSGeo live. It seems to me very
practical to be able to bootstrap virtual machines or live sticks with
complex setups (software, data, configurations, materials) for classes.

Best regards,

Ari