[Live-demo] EOxServer - an Open Source WMS/WCS for Earth Observations & OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:03:27 PDT 2012

Stephan,
I apologise for the slow response - this email thread has got lost in my
email inbox.

EOxServer does look like it would be a valuable contribution to
OSGeoLive. From what I hear, it does seem to be of suitable quality
software. I'm a bit nervous about your relatively small user community,
as well as the existence of similar projects which will be competing to
attract your niche user base. I would like to encourage you to reach out
to other International Earth Observation software projects to see how
you can collaborate, and also reach out to other Earth Observation
communities and attract them as users. This will be important for the
long term viability of your project.

With regards to including EOxServer on OSGeoLive:
I don't want to commit yet to including EOxServer in this 6.0 release.
Partly due to the light community size, but mostly due to the many other
challenges that we are going to be spending a lot of time on for this
osgeolive release, (switching to ubuntu 12.04 and openjdk).
However, you are welcome to write your docs and install script, and we
can include them in the release. The docs will be on the DVD, but not
linked from the index page, and install script won't be run during the
build process, but can be run afterwards (eg at the start of a workshop
which is using the DVD).
I'd then suggest that we will probably want to introduce EOxServer into
the OSGeoLive 6.5 release.

>>> http://live.osgeo.org