[Live-demo] Which version of openjdk should be included on OSGeo-Live 6.0?

edgar.soldin at web.de edgar.soldin at web.de
Tue Jun 5 01:34:48 PDT 2012

On 04.06.2012 22:21, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 04/06/12 22:23, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>> What should be our policy in case of a project still dependent on openjdk6 close to release date? Shall we exclude it from the disk for version 6.0?
>
> I'd like hear back from projects before we make this call.
> I think our options are:
> 1. Only ship with openjdk7 and expect all projects to migrate to openjdk7. This would be my preference if possible, as we will be able to save disk space, which we can use for including new applications.

i really expect *all* java projects to at least run with openjdk7 (with minor hickups at worst).

> 2. Ship with openjdk6 and 7, and have applications select which version they are using in their startup script. This will probably require all java applications to update their startup script to select the java version they require during initialisation.

this should be a worst case szenario that should be used only
- if one project is actually not running /and/ really not able to fix it in time
and
- you are willing to install both jre's with jre7 as default (only the above projects would have to change their scripts in this case)

..ede/openjump