[Live-demo] Re: OSGeoLive, Sourceforge, and South Africa

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 1 10:41:51 PST 2012

On 03/01/2012 09:54 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 01:52 AM, edgar.soldin at web.de wrote:
>>>
>>> although it takes an hour or so until the upload appears, it worked perfectly (incl. mirrors) when i tried it some weeks ago. upload of 1.7GB was done via sftp.
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download
>>> does not mention any size limitations.
>>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project%20web%20and%20developer%20web%20platform#Filesizelimits
>> suggests to use the FRS rather than the web space, no size limits mentioned
>>
>> ..ede
>
> Thanks, that info seems new since the last time I poked around
> sourceforge. It still isn't clear which mirrors the files will end up on
> or how long it takes (might take a week?).
>
> Next I'll look into what kind of download statistics they keep.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

So I'll add the one downside of not using our own mirrors, we will no
longer have access to the full download statistics of bytes per IP.
There may also be a Public Relations side to all of this.

Not a huge deal since I have plenty of backlogs for my research into who
is downloading where and how long it takes, but it would be hard for us
to track what countries were reaching in the future.

I'd prefer to continue pursuing volunteers/sponsors to host mirrors in
more places but have no outright objection to the consideration of
sourceforge.