[Live-demo] Re: OSGeoLive, Sourceforge, and South Africa

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 1 11:09:35 PST 2012

On 03/01/2012 10:47 AM, edgar.soldin at web.de wrote:
> On 01.03.2012 19:41, Alex Mandel wrote:

>>> Thanks, that info seems new since the last time I poked around
>>> sourceforge. It still isn't clear which mirrors the files will end up on
>>> or how long it takes (might take a week?).
>>>
>>> Next I'll look into what kind of download statistics they keep.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex
>>
>> So I'll add the one downside of not using our own mirrors, we will no
>> longer have access to the full download statistics of bytes per IP.
>> There may also be a Public Relations side to all of this.
>>
>> Not a huge deal since I have plenty of backlogs for my research into who
>> is downloading where and how long it takes, but it would be hard for us
>> to track what countries were reaching in the future.
>>
>> I'd prefer to continue pursuing volunteers/sponsors to host mirrors in
>> more places but have no outright objection to the consideration of
>> sourceforge.
>>

> you have seen the download stats there with downloads by country section on sf.net right? doesn't that suit your purpose?
>
> ..ede

I hadn't found that yet, but have now. It also has an api to get it as
json https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Download%20Stats%20API/
That should work well. We could also add piwik style analytics to our
main website to capture clicks on the initial download buttons just in case.

So, yes I think this idea could work out. I'll look into it more and do
some tests.