[Live-demo] OSM sample data on OSGeo-Live

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 18:39:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

This is a solved problem since Sydney I think, so don't worry
about it.

I've already updated install_osm.sh to a bbox suitable for
Beijing some weeks ago, just not run the jXapi extract for it
yet & stashed that at download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/ to
speed up builds. Just before final I'll do another OSM extract.
(if it is exceptionally huge I'll have to do a sub-set around
the convention center like I had to for Denver)

the resulting "planet" file
  /usr/local/share/data/osm/"$CITY.osm.bz2"
is symlinked to
  /usr/local/share/data/osm/feature_city.osm.bz2

which is a stable filename for the quickstarts to reference.
(and has been for a couple years now)

GpsDrive, e.g., starts up on the convention center and shows
nearby food, drinks, hotels, roadmaps etc. It's a Good service
and not a burden, so as the local OSM maintainer I'm going to
keep things ticking along as they are: update once a year to
the FOSS4G host city. We'd have to update at least once a year
anyway, so it might as well be there.

cheers,
Hamish