[Live-demo] Improved translation status

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Mon Nov 12 11:46:55 PST 2012

based on my recent commercial software development experiences:

* git has the advanage in branching and merging; very useful when
developers are adding substantial new features that require breaking
changes, common in the early stages of big web and desktop projects

* git has better web-based analytics; lots of neat charting and
tracking and such

* git has popularity and 'cool', web hosting is widely available; young
developers are more likely to start with it and use git with each other
on cutting edge projects

* subversion is well known and very stable

* subversion works well enough with existing multi function support
apps, like Trac

* subversion does not encourage branching and merging, in fact it is
difficult to do even for skilled users

The Live project does not have a lot of forking and branching; in fact,
stability is key and growing to be one of the core strengths of the
Live project.

Ask the question, does adding new features frequently require breaking
changes to other parts of the environment while developing? no, in
fact, the project is designed to maximize the ability of very widely
disparate contributors to add while not interfering with others.

In My Own Opinion: Since I am old enough to have lived through some
very large changes in the sofware world, notably the conquest by
Windows of the world's PCs, I am not at all convinced by someone saying
that this or that change is "inevitable."   In my experience that
phrase is more often abused than accurate. Since it reminds me of the
hogwash that Microsoft used to leverage FUD, I dont like that phrase at
all.

--
In summary, I don think there is very much rush to use Git instead of
subversion. I dont think many of the core strengths of Git apply much

If people want to use Git now they can, it is straightforward to copy a
subversion snapshot to Git. It is *not* straightforward to go the other
way, that I know of...

--
Brian Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter