[Live-demo] which version of PostGIS on OSGeo-Live? What apps will be effected?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:58:57 PST 2012

On 20/11/12 07:59, Brian Hamlin wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:

>> Postgis 2.0 from ubuntugis-unstable (no change to the script required to
>> get that).
>>
>> Some projects may not be able to use 2.0 yet, for those we should also
>> retain 1.5. As Brian has pointed out it should be possible to have both.
>>
>> Possible method:
>> Install Postgis 1.5 from ubuntu stock repos, then add ubuntugis to apt
>> and install 2.0. 1.5 sql files might remain on the system which would
>> then give us both. We'd want to make 2 different template dbs one thats
>> 1.5 using the same name we have now and then a postgis 2.0 template
>> under a different name so projects that want to use it can.
>>

>   I can absolutely do this, my main concern is FUD from others abuot
> non-standard installs
> The PostGIS core team has been building and using 1.5 and 2.0 side by
> side for more than two years
> of course it works..  but there is a small matter of defaults, etc

Ideally, I'd like to see only one version of PostGIS installed. Reasons:
* Reduce confusion from new users questioning which version of postgis
to use.
* Reduce disk space used - would we need to load our default datasets
into both versions of PostGIS?

So I question whether we update all applications which make use of PostGIS.