[Live-demo] Rethinking osgeo-live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:07:47 PDT 2012

Barry,
An interesting idea you have brought up.
Here are some thoughts that Jody Garnett mentioned in IRC today...

<jgarnett> there is a slightly different approach to consider
<jgarnett> if you look at things like "home brew"
<kalxas> but I don't believe it fits the way GNU/Linux works
<jgarnett> they are very similar to what osgeo live does
<jgarnett> osgeo live has a bunch of tested install scripts
<jgarnett> that "grab what is needed"
<jgarnett> we have caught developers just running the scripts on their
linux machine
<jgarnett> (and indeed they sometimes work for mac as well)
<jgarnett> home brew, and its ports to linux, are similar
<jgarnett> would turn the project into a set of install scripts
<CameronShorter> jgarnett, got a url for home brew?
<jgarnett> the "live demo" would be a downstream project; where the
install scripts have been applied to a ISO
<jgarnett> or to a VM
<jgarnett> http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
<sigabrt> Title: Homebrew — MacPorts driving you to drink? Try Homebrew!
(at mxcl.github.com)
<jgarnett> (it is not so much this specific "home-brew" project - it is
the approach that is similar to the core of osgeo live)
<jgarnett> (i.e. the part we ask projects to maintain)
<jgarnett> but yeah - was not going to wade into that email debate
<jgarnett> (here is a port of homebrew to linux
http://blog.frameos.org/2010/11/10/mac-homebrew-ported-to-linux/ )
<sigabrt> Title: Mac Homebrew ported to Linux - Automation Inc. (at
blog.frameos.org)
<kalxas> "Caveats * The port is still a work in progress * Most of the
existing haven’t been tested. * Port has been tested only in Ubuntu and
RHEL"