[Live-demo] OSGeo live DVD (6.0)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 18:53:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

fwiw, in general I'd suppose a special 64 bit build is not worth
the effort.

my main question is why is it needed?

for the minor performance boost from increased access to
registers? (erm, remember you're working over usb2 or cdrom ...)

or is anyone planning to use the live(demo)dvd with multigigabyte
datasets?

if not, what's the use except for bragging rights that this one
does 64bits?

I guess the main ones are people installing from the disk to a
hard drive to use as their everyday system, and >4gb RAM used as
disk cache is a nice place to be.

Anyway, there are many prebuilt wgets for 32 binaries, I'd
hope they'd all work on a 64bit system, but I can't guarantee
that all the needed shared libraries will still be there and
where they expect them to be. Probably we'd have to install all
the 32bit compatibility libraries too, which may be a bit of a
drain on the disc space.

2c,
Hamish

ps- java projects looking to make themselves into .debs might
have a look at JOSM. I can't speak to the quality of the packaging
or the approach, only that it is java, it is geospatial, and it
is in debian & ubuntu already.