[Live-demo] image replacement/update procedure for docs

Frank Gasdorf fgdrf at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Aug 3 13:10:09 PDT 2013

Hello everybody,

while I was checking the latest build log (
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/logs/nightly_build.err) for the docs
I was wondering about many many lines with the following error:

path/to/rst/file.rst:None: WARNING: image file not readable: images/...

It seems to be different errors ending up in the same message : Missing
image
* some images were never committed yet
* some pictures were moved (from 1024x800 to 800x600) whereas others
* were just renamed.

However, its quite hard to find out which changes are responsible for and
makes it even harder for translators to make a different between text to
translate and bring references up to date.

Therefor I would suggest that every change in the origin language (English)
on image links should include updates for translated pages as well. BUT
keep in mind the encoding of each file, otherwise we are in encoding hell
again. Suggestion here is to use Notepad++ (free) on Windows and a encoding
preserving editor on Linux/MaxOS like vi.

Thanks
Frank