[Live-demo] [live-demo] Kick-starting OSGeoLive 7.5

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 03:17:57 PST 2013

On 8/12/2013 8:41 AM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It is time to kick-start OSGeoLive 7.5. I have prepared a short press
> release:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_44
>
> Please review so we can send it out in 48 hours.
>
> Best,
> Angelos

Hi Angelos,
Thanks for kick starting the process.

Before we start the build process for 7.5, I suggest we discuss the
question:
"Has OSGeo-Live reached a level of maturity where it would be best
served by annual releases instead of 6 month releases"?

The logic behind this question is:
1. OSGeo-Live is orders of magnitude larger than a few few releases,
which 3 times as many applications, and with each application
maintaining more documentation, as well as maintaining multiple
translations.

2. As such our critical mass for turning over a release requires more
effort than before.

3. However, the good news is that the quality and stability of
OSGeo-Live applications has improved substantially, and as such I'd
argue that releases don't need to be turned over as often.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager