[Live-demo] Kick-starting OSGeoLive 7.NINE

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Mon Dec 9 15:30:42 PST 2013

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:25:33 +1100, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm open to calling the release 7.9, but would probably prefer
> sticking with convention (of 7.5).
> If 7.9 is to be selected, then a story should be created to explain
> why 7.9 was selected, otherwise 99% of people will probably miss the
> significance.
>
> Brian,
> What do you consider the story to be?

Arnulf is a super-hero and larger-than-life OSGeo figure, and among his
odd characteristics, he calls himself "seven" which is apparently short
for "seven-of-nine" .. In honor of Arnulf we would call the DVD
version  7.9

The reference is to some variation of Star Trek I think , but I dont
actually watch that.. so really it is for Arnulf.

IMO no one cares much about the details of the numbering, as long as
they are unique and generally follow some direction, like getting to be
bigger numbers. I think its fun.

  -Brian

ps - as much as I would like to skip to a longer cycle, I think we need
a QGis 2.0 disk.. wildint knows the details on the QGis release roadmap.