[Live-demo] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 7.9 - focus on .deb packaging

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 03:05:33 PST 2013

We are starting the build cycle for version 7.9 of the OSGeo-Live
DVD/USB/VM which will be released in March 2013, ready for several
special events, including the OSGeo Code Sprint in Vienna, Spanish
FOSS4G, French FOSS4G, FOSSGIS Germany, among others.

Our aim for this release is to focus on .deb packaging, which will make
projects simple to install on all debian and ubuntu based distributions.

We would like to hear from anyone wishing to add new projects to
OSGeo-Live, anyone wishing to extend or add translations, or anyone who
has ideas on how we should shape the upcoming release.

IMPORTANT : Could all projects please reply to us with the preferred,
stable version of software to be included in this release.

*Key Milestones*

14 Jan 2014 All new applications installed, most old applications updated
31 Jan 2014 Feature Freeze (all apps updated)
21 Feb 2014 User Acceptance Test (all apps installed and working)
14 Mar 2014 Final ISO sent to printers

*OSGeoLive 7.9 Alpha1 released*

We have released the first alpha version of OSGeo-Live, which builds
upon Xubuntu 12.04.3 release along with updated versions of applications
from UbuntuGIS repository. Feel free to start testing your applications
in the latest release.

*About OSGeo-Live*

OSGeo-live is an XUbuntu based distribution of Geospatial Open Source
Software, available via a Live DVD, Virtual Machine and USB. You can use
OSGeo-Live to try a wide variety of open source geospatial software
without installing anything.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager