[Live-demo] GRASS Quickstart review

Alexander Muriy amuriy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 13:56:08 PST 2013

1) In section "Running" read:
"To run GRASS on the Live DVD, click on the GRASS link on the desktop."

But we don't have GRASS link on the desktop, but it's GRASS launcher in
"Desktop GIS" directory on the desktop.

2) [Start Grass] needs to be [Start GRASS]

3) "This will launch GRASS with our brand new GUI written in
wxPython<http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/grass/wxGUI.html>
".
Need to change link on wxGUI from "
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/grass/wxGUI.html" to local page.

4) In section "Create a shaded relief map" read:
"Start by verifying that the computational region is set match the raster
map of interest, “elevation” in the PERMANENT mapset."

We have raster map "elevation" in <nc_basic_spm> location, but on the
picture we see shaded relief of raster "elevation.10m" from Spearfish
location. It needs to be clarified what location/mapset with what raster we
use in example.

5) In section "Watersheds and streams", as earlier, it needs to change
raster name "elevation at PERMANENT" to "elevation.10m at PERMANENT" or make
picture with NC location.

6) In section "Vector modules" read:
"In the r.to.vect dialog that opens make sure that basins @user1 is
selected for the input map"

We don't have raster map "basins at user1", but "basins at PERMANENT". And in
section "Watersheds and streams" we dealt with raster "elev.basins".