[Live-demo] Artwork for version 6.5?

Anton Popov mail at antonpopov.de
Wed Feb 20 11:45:42 PST 2013

Hi Javi

I'm the one who created the first version [1] of the cover you
mentioned. It's designed to provide a basic layout while allowing a
custom (e.g. yearly) theme. I'm in the process of upgrading the design
to the current version 6.5. In order to make it easier for people like
you to develop own customizations I'm simplifying the XCF. Once done
I'll upload it to the SVN (might take a week or two since I'm busy with
other stuff right now).

To give you an impression of how the design is intended to be used:
The cover for the german FOSSGIS of this year can be found here [2] and
there [3]. Last year's version was this [4] and that [5]. There should
also be a version around in [1] - without any theme - that looks like
[6] and [7].

The design was created using GIMP 2.7. So yes, as you already noticed,
the design is raster based. With a setting of 300 dpi it should be
printed right to the size of a CD/DVD hull (12.1 cm). I'm afraid there
is no vector version of the main background image available. That's why
I decided to do it raster-based.

When working with the XCF there are a few things you should be aware
of:
  * There are a few hidden layers like guides or logos. Don't get
    confused by this. Just ignore or remove them ;)
  * When moving layers make sure that there are no unwanted/unrelated
    layers linked together (see the chain icon next to the visibility
    icon in the layer list) so that you don't move other layers by
    accident. Some of the layers are already linked by default in [1]!
  * There are many layers that make heavy use of transparency. Some of
    them exist multiple times to enable you to increase or decrease the
    effect. Link/unlink them before/after moving so that their position
    matches.
  * As a policy: when creating text layers create duplicates of them,
    run a gaussian filter (at a fitting size, of course) and invert the
    colors (or use white as a rule of thumb). Since the backgound image
    contains darker and lighter colors this makes it easier to read the
    text.
  * Concerning giving assignments to a printing company: the XCF's
    contain some (later invisible) guides. You should mainly work
    within these bounds. And: any new background image you add should
    overlap those guides. This is also called "bleeding". When the
    printed paper is cut there won't be white border artifacts this
    way.

I hope I wrote understandable and you feel introduced enough =)
If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll commit a simpler
template for future versions as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Anton Popov

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/artwork/sleeve/5.5
[2] http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/Datei:OSGeo_Live_6.5_booklet_outside.png