[Live-demo] Fwd: Re: New apps to be included in OSGeo-Live 6.5?

Patric Hafner | geOps patric.hafner at geops.de
Wed Jan 9 02:37:48 PST 2013

Hi Angelos,

Am 07.01.2013 23:43, schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:

> I remember that in the past, all apps that were not included in the docs
> were not installed in the live but their installation scripts were
> available to use in the VM. I am not sure we should change that. If we
> feel that a project is not ready for prime time, perhaps it should stay
> in beta for 6 months...

We understand your opinion, but we also see some possible problems with
this approach for our project Cartaro. Currently the installation script
is tailored to run within the building process. If the installation
script is executed during runtime by the user, we are not able to
ensure, that the installation was really successful. Changes made by the
user during runtime could lead to a failing installation. Furthermore a
working internet connection is required.
Failing installations during runtime could may lead to the impression,
that our project is not stable although only a working internet
connection was missing ...

Due to this points, we would be very happy, if our installation script
would be executed within the building process.

What do you think?

--

With best regards,

Patric Hafner

--
geOps e.K.
--------------------------------
Handelsregister A 702785, Amtsgericht Freiburg
Kaiser-Joseph-Strasse 263
D-79098 Freiburg
fon     +49 761 503 126 91
fax     +49 761 503 126 94