[Live-demo] "big" data sets on OSGeo Live

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jan 10 13:10:28 PST 2013

Hi listers,

as space is running short on the ISO we need to reconsider sizings. In today's
OSGel Live chat I was tasked to initiate this discussion. Current disk footprint
of each application is available from
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc#gid=13

Top riders currently:
- mapguide: 550mb
- marble: 300 mb (includes disk caching!)
- grass >250mb

One way of saving space is to enlarge it (ie, go to 8 GB) which is unclear due
to some unresolved questions; another one is to deflate unused datasets, a third
one to share data among applications.

Can I ask all those with 3-digit disk hunger to chime into this discussion.

thanks,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)